Data management – as easy as ABC
Storage is a focal point for IT workflows in the media, entertainment and broadcast industries.
It is where content is created but requirements of huge capacities and fast turnover of data make it expensive and challenging to manage and secure effectively.
Archiware P5 is a software suite of data management products allowing data to be migrated, secured and cloned, using tape, disk and cloud storage technologies.
The products are focused around ease-of-use, with a browser interface, simple enough that anyone can use it to access their data.
Archiware is a privately-held company founded in 2002 in Munich, Germany.
The company specialises in all-in-one software solutions for data management and security.
Archiware’s product portfolio has developed from the PressStore Suite to the P5 Software Suite.
The most recent expansion comprises the standalone product Archiware Pure for VMware backup.
Archiware collaborates with numerous partners worldwide.
About the Products
The Archiware P5 Software Suite consists of four modules to protect data using different methods and most importantly providing easy restoration of data as required.
All modules can be combined to create multiple-step security concepts to achieve maximum data protection.
- P5 Archive – Move or migrate data offline to disk, tape and cloud
- P5 Backup – Back up server data to disk, tape and cloud, for disaster-recovery purposes
- P5 Backup2Go – Back up desktop and laptop data to disk
- P5 Synchronize – Replicate data to ensure high availability P5 runs on Windows, Linux and macOS.
Linux-based NAS products can also run P5 including Synology, QNAP, NETGEAR and others.
With over 15,000 licenses worldwide and backed by a global network of experts, you can be absolutely confident when entrusting your data with P5.
Archive at the Core
Being able to migrate completed work from primary disk storage is key to avoiding capacity problems when new work needs to be created.
P5 Archive is used by many Archiware customers in this scenario with either LTO tape, disk or cloud for safe long-term storage.
The following features make this LTO tape particularly attractive to customers:
- Compatibility with both stand-alone LTO drives up to large automated LTO tape libraries/jukeboxes
- Amazing tape speed through parallelisation and large capacity available from the very latest LTO-8 tape generation
- Tape cloning for redundancy – generating two copies of data, one to keep on-site and one to secure at an off-site location
- Spanning of data across LTO tape volumes making best use of available capacity
- Indexing of archived content, including thumbnail/proxy creation and customisable and searchable metadata
The Mini-MAM Concept
Archiware describes P5 Archive’s ability to store and present previews of archived (offline) assets as the ‘Mini-MAM’.
Media professionals are familiar with MAM systems to manage their media clips and insert them into projects via their nearline-editor software.
P5 Archive extends this MAM concept through to offline data.
This means that completed projects whose media clips now reside on offline tape/disk/cloud storage are still available to view and search within P5’s Mini-MAM.
The MAM interface is provided via a web-browser GUI.
Once media or complete projects have been identified for recovery back to online storage, the process is managed with just a few clicks. P5 takes care of organising tape/disk/cloud storage for streamlined recovery.
In addition to the built-in MAM functionality, the P5 Archive also integrates with the following media-focussed MAM and storage partners:
- BackBlaze B2
- Cantemo Portal
- Empress eMAM
- FAST LTA
- Focalpoint Server
P5 strives for market-leading levels of compatibility with storage hardware, including running directly on popular NAS products.
The list of compatible products include:
- Spectra Logic
- Overland Tandberg