Adhering to responsible journalism
Launched in 2006, France 24, the international news channel broadcasts 24/7 to 355 million homes around the world in French, Arabic, English and Spanish (six hours a day in Spanish). With more than 150 news bulletins a day over the four channels, a network of 160 correspondent bureaus around the world and journalists representing over 35 different nationalities reflect the channel’s core DNA.
From its newsroom in Paris, France 24 gives a different perspective on global affairs and attracts a combined weekly viewership of 61.2 million viewers (measured in 67 of the 183 countries where the channel is broadcast). The channel is available via cable, satellite, DTT, ADSL, on mobile phones, tablets and connected TVs, as well as on YouTube in four languages. Every month, France 24’s digital platforms attract 16.5 million visits, 45,6 million video views (2018 average) and 37.4 million followers on Facebook and Twitter (as of May 2018).
France 24’s four channels have their own identities, benefitting from their own temps forts, running orders and programme schedules. However, all four channels share and uphold a common editorial stance, adhering to three principles to ensure quality international news coverage:
- Responsiveness – Frequent news bulletins, priority to live broadcasts and more emphasis on ground reporting thanks to an extensive network of correspondents and reporters
- Rigor – Urgency never overrides respect for journalistic ethics or the need for reliable information
- Review – Facts are placed in context, recognised expert opinions are provided and longer formats have been developed so that current affairs are put into perspective
The programmes offered on France 24’s four channels have a common denominator: they strive to place the human dimension at the heart of its broadcasts. Over the last few years, France 24 has significantly increased the production of exclusive reports and the amount of time dedicated to live programmes.
Fance 24 offers an international news bulletin every half hour with in-depth reports, debates, features, interviews and more, completing the line-up. Reflecting the channel’s core values of independence and pluralism of information France 24 endeavours to promote diversity, gender equality, the exchange of views, the spirit of debate through its content.
- Reporters – An award-winning programme with international and in-depth reports from France 24’s senior reporters from across the world (available on all four channels).
- The Debate – A long-format debate on the main news story of the day inviting viewers to interact directly with journalists and their guests via social networks (available on all four channels).
- The 51% – Looks at women who are reshaping the world. This weekly magazine brings you stories from across the world about women who are challenging the way we think (available on all four channels).
- Across Africa – A weekly magazine taking a closer look at political and social events across the African continent with exclusive reports and analysis (available on the English channel only).
- Paris des Arts – Discover Paris though the eyes of an artist who takes Valerie Fayolle on a cultural stroll through the city (French channel only).
- Migrantes – A weekly programme looking at the difficulties of millions of people who, in Latin America and in the world, flee their countries in search of a better life elsewhere (Spanish channel only).
- Maghreb Hour – A daily live evening news segment dedicated to all the latest from the Maghreb region with reports, guests, sports and business round-ups (Arabic channel only).
In the MENA region, France 24 is broadcast via OSN, My-HD, E-Vision, du, beIN, STC, Vodafone and Omantel. For operators, the channel is available on Arabsat, Nilesat and Hotbird.